Network Woes

Reaction score
Okay where to begin. well i have a 3mb dsl connection and everything was well. then i installed bit torrent and was downloading some things and now my connection keeps dropping off. talked to speakeasy tech support and they think it is to much bandwith spikes. so now the questions. i bought a new dsl modem and router(netgear) also i have time capsule. first off they want me to see the bandwith but i don't know of a utility for mac to do tat with a monthl or daily usage. then i want my time capsule back. how do i set it up with the netgear. do i just plug the ethernet from the netgear into the lan port on the tc or the wan port. what settings in tc? sorry for the questions just new to mac but liking it so far.

thanks for the help

OP
H
Reaction score
guess no one here can set up a tc with another router modem. can it atleast be done?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 17"
howdy.

im no network guru, but here's the few things id try to troubleshoot whats going on...

1.get a network monitor to watch bandwidth usage. many isp's offer a network monitor to check the daily, weekly and monthly bandwidth usage - check your isp's downloads or support pages. if nothing specific available, try -

surplus meter - SkoobySoft - Skooby Utilities
istat pro - iStat pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer

istat pro is an essential widget - grab it regardless. it doesnt do usage monitoring, but will let you see what the current connection speed is, perhaps will help to identify spikes/troughs when you start various apps or connect devices like your tc.

2. try a different torrent manager. i use µTorrent - The Lightweight and Efficient BitTorrent Client for Mac - its a very small, lightweight yet powerful app. alternatively, try the big gun, vuze (formally known as azeurus) - Azureus, now called Vuze : Java BitTorrent Client - How To: Mac OSX

once you have the bandwidth under control, and a usable, functional torrent app, reconnect your tc.

yep, you can definitely set up the tc with the router.

if the tc hasnt yet performed its first back-up, plug it in physically to you're mac. using wireless for a first back-up is usually a bit slow and painful. if you've got the first back-up sorted, set the tc up as a wireless device (or lan connection, whatever suits) and all should be sweet.

hope that helps. its not detailed instructions to click this or select that, but troubleshoot the root problem and you should be good to go.

good luck, let us know how it all goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.