HP 2408 Monitor Problem

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just got my HP 2408 24" monitor. Everything seems ok...except when I "shut-down" or "sleep" my Mac Pro.

When I shut-down or sleep my Mac Pro...unlike other monitors I've used which go to sleep as soon as the computer is shut off...this HP 2408 monitor goes into some sort of what seems like a "test mode".

It continuously cycles between a blue, then green, then red, then white, then black screen...then repeats.

As soon as I turn my Mac Pro back on, this cycling stops and displays my normal desktop background & everything else I keep on my desktop.

Any idea what this is, or how I can fix it?

Thanks

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your HP 2408 has built in firmware and a menu setup. I'm assuming you've tried to access the menu setup and go through the various options to see if you can turn off the test signal and reset it for auto detection?

Look in your user manual for menu settings.

Regards.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Your HP 2408 has built in firmware and a menu setup. I'm assuming you've tried to access the menu setup and go through the various options to see if you can turn off the test signal and reset it for auto detection?

Look in your user manual for menu settings.

Regards.

Thanks for your reply!

I figured out what the problem was. I purchased an HP 2408 24" refurbished/rebranded monitor from Buy.com.

I guess some technician when doing the refurb. process left the monitor in "service/factory" mode...since there was an "F" next to the "exit" option in the On Screen Menu.

When I selected "reset to factory settings" from the On Screen Display...the "F" disappeared...and the monitor no longer was cycling thru some sort of test pattern...and the monitor shut-down/slept properly when I put my Mac Pro to sleep.

In case folks don't know (just learned this myself)...this monitor & probably others, have a "secret" service or factory menu option that can only be accessed via a special key combination.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.