Pro Tools 8 on Power Mac G4

Reaction score
Doe's anyone have any problems with Pro Tools 8 using a G4 PowerMac mirrored computer and OSX 10.5.6. Mine keeps freezing when I use plug-ins. By the way I also have 2 GB of memory which is the max my machine will take.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Protools takes up a ridiculous amount of the computers CPU.. basically you should only be running protools with out any other applications open (except rewire progs) anything else will slow it down. Do you use your computer for any other reasons? like word processing or internet and itunes? You may have 2Gs of memory but how much of it is free?
The best solution i can give you is to put everything on your computer's memory onto an external harddrive except protools. You want the harddrive to be able to spin freely without looking for anything else. Also if you recorded your tracks at different times, when play back the entire project, its hard for your computer to search through the harddrive for all the different tracks during playback. If everything you try doesn't improve the performance, you may need to reformat the harddrive. Back up everything you need on an external and reformat. The next time you turn it on it will be as if you just took it out of the box.
I hope some of that helps! If there's anything else please post.. you've probably spent a lot of money on your set up so it would be a waste if it didn't work! Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Shame you did not ask before spending your buck. Find DiskWarrior 4.1.1 the best HDD utility about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.