getting the mac to recognize cameras

Reaction score
I have three cheap digital camera, but I cannot get the mac to speak to any of them. all are shown on the correct USB port on about my mac, but do not appear on the desktop. I accept it might not be possible, as they are probably a different format, but any ideas how to get the pictures from them? (there are no drivers listed for them that I can find on the WWW)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and model are the Digital Cameras?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Yeah, you're going to need to tell us what kind of cameras they are. At least the brand.

Most digital cameras will just show up as a USB drive on your desktop when you plug them in, allowing you to simply copy the pictures over to your computer and then delete them from the camera. Some companies, though, don't allow their cameras to be used as USB drives and instead require you to use some special piece of software to access them.

Of course, you could always try opening up the application Image Capture and see if that works. It's just a basic image downloading app that is included with OS X. Sort of like iPhoto but for downloading only (no management or editing options).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
For example, Canon cameras do not mount on the desktop. Do your cameras use medica cards -- SD. CF, etc.? If so, get a card reader (quite inexpensive these days) and put the card into that to read on your computer.

Reaction score
yeah, I also think that a card reader is probably your best solution. It is universal for all cameras. Just make sure you get one that can read your card size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Ah! Didn't even think of the card reader option. Yes, a card reader would be perfect.

Most modern card readers can handle virtually any storage format, but you still need to make sure. What kind of flash memory does your camera use? SD? Memory Stick? Compact Flash? xD?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For example, Canon cameras do not mount on the desktop. Do your cameras use medica cards -- SD. CF, etc.? If so, get a card reader (quite inexpensive these days) and put the card into that to read on your computer.

All the Canon's I have worked with will not mount on the desktop as drive but do show up in both iPhoto and Image Capture.

If you do a lot of photos I do agree the USB Card Reader would be the way to go. Much faster also.

OP
T
Reaction score
Makes and models

I did say they were cheap. ONe is an Alba 300 K Pixel, no model given, one is in a box marked 100 K, no model given, and the other is currently out with my 6 year old daughter. None have removable cards. the idea is the little girls can play with them, so cheap (actually free) and simple was the idea
Image capture is a good idea, but it tells me no image capture device is connected

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.