Boot Camp and Windows XP

Reaction score
I just got this new 20" I Mac (First Mac :D ) And now I am trying to install XP with bootcamp to run a few windows games and applications. The only disk other then a Vista 32 bit which is on 2 disks (And not sure if it works as it came with my other pc as a reformate disk.) is a very old XP disk with SP1A. So I slipstreamed XP SP2 on it and then partioned my hard drive. The computer restarted and I got a blue creen and for 45 minutes all it said at the bottom was "Set Up Load Executive Windows." Or something onlong those lines. Now am I being impatient and not giving windows time to install or did I do something wrong???

Thanks in advanced,

haphadon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp is VERY particular about what kind of Windows disc you use. You may not use a system reinstall disc from another computer (for both technical and legal reasons). It must be a retail version of either Windows Vista or Windows XP with SP2 integrated. You can use an "OEM for System Builders" version, but you can not use any other type of OEM disc.

Reaction score
So, what you need to do is go back into OSX, open Boot Camp Assistant, select "restore partition" (which wipes out what you did), and start over with a new copy of Windows XP SP2 or SP3 (either retail or OEM), on a single disk. Be sure to print out the Boot Camp installation guide and follow it to the letter. This is not the time to wing it. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.