bad Windows install

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just tried to install to install micro xp on a new bootcamp install. It didn't like it, I managed to trip the system back ito osx and remove the partition, but now every time I start the machine it tries to boot into a windows partition that doesn't exist!

I'm guessing that's because the startup disk has been flagged by bootcamp as the windows partition for setup. I can run osx on the system, I just have to hold alt on startup and select macintoshHD (which is the only option). My guesses are I either have to run a successful windows install, which I would rather not do as I'll just be removing it once it's done, or (fingers crossed) I just go into startup disk in settings and set it to osx.

Is there anything else that anyone can think of, has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks very much in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Startup Disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
or follow the bootcamp doc and remove the bootcamp partition?

OP
S
Reaction score
System Preferences - Startup Disk

Really should have thought of that! guessing bootcamp set bootsector to go to windows partition, but didn't reset it when I removed partition.

worked great, thanks very much for your help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Really should have thought of that! guessing bootcamp set bootsector to go to windows partition, but didn't reset it when I removed partition.

worked great, thanks very much for your help!

We all forget about the easy stuff it seems like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.