Wireless newbie issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Hello everybody...

I'm a long time Mac user who was trapped in PC purgatory for a while due to limited finances, but I recently pulled myself out of it by buying a Powerbook G4 with Tiger from a friend of mine. However, I'm a bit new with the wireless technology.

I've searched for answers to my particular questions and learned a few things, however, the main question still remains:

At work, (which is actually an airport), I have no problem picking up the free Wifi when I'm up in the terminal. However, some co-workers can pick it up from the ramp downstairs while I usually can not, or else it's very weak. While at a friend's house the other day, he was able to pull up a nearby signal with his Sony laptop, but my G4 couldn't even get a sniff of it. Is this a strength issue with the Airport program, a problem with my G4, or a setting problem?

As for another question...what are the preferred wireless services? A friend recommended Cricket, but I'm a bit wary of them after a bad experience with their phone service. Someone else said Verizon, although they're more expensive. Any help with these issues is appreciated...

Thanks!

Raven

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
It's probably just the old notebook and the outdated wireless technology inside. You shouldn't worry about it, because I don't think you can improve the wireless card without replacing the whole thing. As for the internet services, I use a local service called MNSI. Its not very fast, but I use an Airport Extreme Base station to send a wireless connection to my iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.