IMac internal HD crash

Reaction score
I desperatley need help please.

Computer: imac intel core duo 2ghz 10.4.1 512 mb 667 mhz ram

To begin with on start up the computer flashed folder with question mark. On research I was able to disconnect power (24hrs) and she started up again for a week. In that week I connected an external hard drive backed everything up and didnt turn computer off at all. A power failure due to weather shut it down. Now flashing folder is back and nothing I do will bring her back to life.
I tried to run tests but the computer wouldn't accept original discs.

I understand my internal harddrive has fried (over use most probably, or the fact I went crazy seeing new range out and thought about updating!).

I have no problems with fitting a new hard drive BUT - what is the best hard drive to purchase and install? I understand there has been much said about keeping away from seagate.

I have been looking around but I am getting confused with SATA and IDE etc. I do not know which one to purchase.

Exact model suggestions etc would be greatly appreciatd.

mrsmac+6

Reaction score
It sounds like you have this Mac, which takes a SATA hard drive. It's hard to say what the "best" hard drive to purchase is, as it mostly depends on how much space you want. Seagate drives are pretty good, the problem is with a recent firmware update that bricked several drives.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for replying kahlil88
Yes that is the one. I have seen in my research that SATA is the sort in that model thank you. I have 350GB on current hard drive and that was plenty as stored most on other macs to keep this one as clean. Also now with a maxtor 1T external to manage more storage solutions it is not that much of an issue.
I have seen the maxtor 300gb as a suggestion, any comments?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Maxtor should be OK, as well as other brands: WD or Seagate. I don't know whether you intend to swap out the drive yourself, but if you do, be sure to find a step by step instruction procedure that you can follow before attempting it. Changing out a hard drive in an iMac requires that the display assembly be removed first.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
internal hard drive

I do intend to replace the hard drive myself as I have done this several times before on other mac's and no biggy. Nothing like a challenge! (have apple tech manuals to do the job).
I did find a samsung serial number HD501J - but no one really has anything to say about them.
Besides 'apple' replacing; has anyone or know anyone who has replaced a hard drive? What they brought etc?
From what I am finding they are all pretty much of a muchness until you run into problems, i.e formatting, cooler running on some etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.