cable internet login on OSX

U

unkle

my cable isp only supplies login software that runs on classic.
it is not very stable. is anyone aware of native osx software that will help me connect through my cable modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hmm.. I dont think you should need any actually.. I know I just plugged my laptop in and it works great.. You might need to get a dns server address from your host, but that would probably be the most you would get.. although you really wouldnt need it. it's hard since I know different providers require different things.. for instance when I was on AT&T I needed to have a computer name that they gave me, while now that Im on road runner.. I just plug and play..

OP
N

nko

I'm on Verizon, which is plug 'n' play, too, so to speak (as long as they feel like providing service at the time).

If you use a hardware router appliance, does that take care of stuff like this for you, usually? I'd like to see this topic explored and explained. Fun stuff I don't know about.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have had AT&T and now Comcast. All you need to do is have DHCP turned on.

The cable/DSL modem gets the IP address from the ISP and then passes it off to the computer.

If you are using a router, the process is similar, but DHCP must be turn on at the router.

OP
U

unkle

i don't really understand the need for any software either, but i do have to supply a password when i connect.
i asked the tech support the question and got a confused/ing answer.
they sugested that i might find something on the internet that would help me. very pc-centric downunder.
thanks for your replies. any further suggestions or info welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
To me it sounds like they have no clue what they are talking about :( Ok what ISP are you going through? We'll get your problem solved if it's the last thing we do!.. hopefully it's not.. :)

OP
U

unkle

success at last

thanks to all who got involved. apparantly my isp connection requires as a security measure a "heartbeat" to maintainthe connection and software that recognises said pulse. luckly a friend had the same issue and pointed me in the direction of http://curmi.com/software/mac/launch/. so for anybody in australia with an adsl or cable connection to telstra bigpond broadband and your sick of having to connect through classic this launcher software is just the thing you've been looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.