• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Installment Plans for a new Macbook

Reaction score
My friend was able to get an apple student card which allows him to buy a new macbook air by installment. Of course he can only buy 1 laptop using that card. is there any other way that we can buy another macbook that allows us to pay in an installment plan same as to having an apple student card? he can use his cc to buy for me and just pay him monthly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've never heard of this student card, but the credit plan provided through Juniper espoused by Apple is not a good plan as the interest rates are just abysmal. I would recommend applying for a new credit card that offers little to no interest and try to pay it off before the interest kicks in. You get your payment plan without having to pay any interest, plus it builds your credit rating. I did this with a new American Express card and it worked out great as I got 15 months of no interest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3" 2.4 Ghz Stock
Instead of going into debt....which everyone is crying about right now in the world....just save the money and pay cash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I would highly recommend against paying installments. You wouldn't have to pay any exorbitant interest, fret every now and then about taking that wad of cash outta your pockets to pay every month for that macbook which you bought a year ago, or to worry about not earning and having enough to settle those installments. Don't risk going in debt.

Reaction score
I agree with what most people have said here. Do not bother with paying monthly for the macbook. Your best option would be either ask your parents if they can purchase the computer for you, and you pay them back, or you just continue to save your money until you are able to purchase the product. Everyone makes a valid point in not going into debt, if you can avoid it, then you should.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's also a very bad idea to borrow that kind of money from friends (or put things on their charge cards). You're just asking not to be friends a year from now.

And for those that do loan to friends, make sure you never loan more than you're willing to give them and that you have the ability to then consider that loan as a gift. As long as you never expect to be repaid, it'll never come between your friendship. If they do repay you, that's just a bonus. (You can call it a loan, but in your mind it has to be a gift. If you can't afford to give that money away, you also can't afford to loan it.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
americanmusical.com sells some Mac's and you can do either a 3 payment or 5 payment plan. They basically take the total cost and divide it by 3 or 5 months and charge you each month.

NO INTEREST!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
americanmusical.com sells some Mac's and you can do either a 3 payment or 5 payment plan. They basically take the total cost and divide it by 3 or 5 months and charge you each month.

NO INTEREST!

:)
Not really the best option, either.

https://www.americanmusical.com/content--id-1

Bascially, you still need a credit card for this... and one with an available credit limit large enough to cover the entire balance. Plus, the 5-payment plan still requires credit approval.
I don't really see the advantage of splitting up the payments here.

To the OP... there is no "student" card... it's just a credit card. The "installment" would simply be the minimum monthly payment for that card.

If you want something expensive that costs more than the money you currently have available (and it almost makes no difference what that is), then the best thing to do is to just save your money and make the purchase when you have enough money.

Reaction score
I highly recommend AGAINST ever paying for a computer in installments. I know from experience. I bought my G5 on Apple credit and slowly realised I was paying for something that I wanted to badly upgrade. I think this is the case for any computer purchases with credit(possibly anything technology wise that's very expensive). I was VERY fortunate to be able to sell it off for almost what I owed on it still. I only lost a couple hundo in the deal. Anyway, save up man, chances are you'll find yourself standing in front of a higher quality computer when the time comes to purchase it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.