Can I run programs in my Window's partition using Parallels?

Reaction score
I have partitioned my hard drive using Bootcamp and installed Windows XP. I use it to run MS Visual Studio 2008. I just installed Parallels and can use Windows but, I can't find MS VS anywhere. Do I have to install MS VS on the Mac partition as well? I mean why can't it just boot from the other partition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The answer is yes and no. :)

Yes: You must install MS Visual Studio again if you create a new VM in Parallels and run Windows applications from within the new VM.

No: If you choose to use your Boot Camp partition as a VM from Parallels you do not have to install VS again.

Your choice.

Be sure to read all the instructions from Parallels regarding creating a VM and\or using your Boot Camp partition as a VM.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
So how do I use the Bootcamp partition as a VM? Do I create a new VM custom configure it or something like that? Then do I delete the first VM I created?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As I said above you need to do some reading. But maybe this web site can get you started: Link

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.