Parallels + Boot-camp Confusion

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read the stickies and read around this topic on this forum and others but I've still got some unanswered questions about having Parallels 4.0 and bootcamp.

So I see that Parallels can now work with bootcamp (thereby a single XP install can boot XP and virtualize XP). I've not seen one comprehensive install guide for such a setup. I saw one for the last version of parallels though...

1) Will NTFS reading and writing on XP be 100% fine in the latest version?? I hear that there were some problems

2) Assuming someone had a modified (nLited) XP that doesnt need activation, will it still install perfectly with bootcamp/parallels??

3) A few months ago, mac ppl said that I need to have a single partition with leopard before bootcamp installation (i.e. its better to install bootcamp on a disk that has never been partitioned before). What should I do to best prepare my mac for bootcamp?

Sorry if these queries are a bit basic.. but everyone was once a n00b! hehe :Smirk:

THANKS!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So I see that Parallels can now work with bootcamp (thereby a single XP install can boot XP and virtualize XP). I've not seen one comprehensive install guide for such a setup. I saw one for the last version of parallels though...

Yes, that's true. However, I personally do not recommend setting it up that way. Not only would you have to activate XP twice, corruption has been known to occur when running it both ways from the same installation.

1) Will NTFS reading and writing on XP be 100% fine in the latest version?? I hear that there were some problems

While in the Parallels VM, no problem, data from NTFS is read and write. Not in Parallels, OS X can only read NTFS, a driver is required to implement write capability.

2) Assuming someone had a modified (nLited) XP that doesnt need activation, will it still install perfectly with bootcamp/parallels??

That's illegal (against the MS EULA) and I don't believe it would work anyway.

3) A few months ago, mac ppl said that I need to have a single partition with leopard before bootcamp installation (i.e. its better to install bootcamp on a disk that has never been partitioned before). What should I do to best prepare my mac for bootcamp?

No real preparation needed. Just be sure to follow the Boot Camp instructions as given in the PDF file. Using the proper version of XP is important, so pay special attention to that.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.