Seagate 1.5TB External Drive Hanging

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently purchased a 1.5TB Seagate for Mac external drive to compliment my 2 Seagate 500GB externals (I'm a photographer, so I need lots of storage.) I'm using this on a MacBook Pro, 2.2 with 2GB of Ram.

The 2 500GBs work fine via USB, but the new 1.5TB keeps hanging whilst connected under Firewire 800. It crashes mostly when viewing videos (either in VLC, RealPlayer or FrontRow), it appears that the drive is powering down but the lights on it don't dim. When I restart the mac, the drive does not power down, and I have to manually restart it to get it to be recognized by the mac again. I've run Seagate diagnostics and I've run Disk Utility, all say that the disk is fine. This drive is not old (about 2 weeks old).

I'm currently testing if turning off the "Put drives to sleep when not in use" feature in Sysprefs will fix anything, but I was wondering if anyone else had any idea what was going on. I've seen lots of fixes for the internals, but no fixes for the externals hanging. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.