Airport Extreme - My Book - can't see folders

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Macbook running OS X (version 10.4.11). Last night I set up a wireless network with Airport Extreme, my dsl modem and a MyBook external hard drive (640 GB).

I then consolidated my iTunes music library to run off the MyBook following the instructions on this website

Everything seems to work fine, my songs play, and when I select a song in my iTunes and get it's information, it shows file path of the song as My Book:album:artist:songtitle. So it looks like the library consolidation process worked.

However, when I open up a finder window and select MyBook to see what is stored in there, nothing shows up, no folders, nothing. When I try to search for a song in the MyBook, the file appears, when I click on it, it shows at the bottom the file extension MyBook, album folder, artist folder etc. but I can't go from the song, back through the folders to see the whole list of album folders.

This doesn't make sense, I'm actually having trouble explaining it, but I hope someone else has had this problem and can tell me how to fix it so I can see all my music files on the MyBook.

Do I need to format / configure the MyBook drive so I can "explore" the disk? Do I need to erase the music files on my MacBook hard drive before they can be viewed on the MyBook external drive? I'm stuck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.