Installing Windows via Boot Camp without a CD...

Reaction score
Right, because I'm at Uni, I am able to get Windows for free as a download, however as far as I can tell, Boot Camp requires that I have the install CD, so does anybody know if it's possible to use a Windows download with Boot Camp? I've been told to mount the file onto a CD or something, but I don't know how to do that (I have Toast Titanium, which I guess is what I'd use)...
I have downloaded the file Windows XP Professional with SP3 (Single User) ISO Image, but can't get anywhere with it!

Please help...:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to burn the Windows XP ISO to disk first. Open Disk Utility and select "Burn" from the top menu. Navigate to the Windows XP ISO, select it and click on burn image. Insert a new CD.

After the image has been burned to CD, follow all the normal steps as given in the Boot Camp instructions in order to install.

Be sure to download and install Boot Camp 2.1 before attempting to install XP SP3. See the following info: Link

Regards.

Reaction score
Boot Camp 2.1 is a windows executable that you need to download before upgrading a Boot Camp WinXP SP2 installation to an XP3 installation. You can't install it on your Mac directly, only to an existing Windows install.

You should be able to install XP SP3 directly from a disk, according to other posters who have done so.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.