Internet access issue with XP in bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi,

Was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on an issue I'm having with my internet connection in XP.

The odd thing is that I had no problems until about 3 days ago, used my windows partition beautifully for about 2 years until then. I'm using BootCamp 1.4, and OS 10.4.11.

I boot up, and I have a connection (receive incoming packets) for about 20 seconds, then they are blocked, even though it claims to have an excellent connection. Note that my connection is perfect on the Mac side.I've tried the following (mostly based on some informative posts on this site);

- turned off windows firewall. When i did this, it still claimed it was still on in the security window. Double checked tho, and I had definitely turned it off. Also tried making port exceptions for HTTP 80, etc... didn't have any effect.

- Did a system restore back a couple of weeks to when it was working, no effect.

- thought it may be a virus, copied over AVG virus scanner, found no issues

- removed the partition, repaired my main drive, recreated the partition, and reinstalled XP. Same problem.

I'm on a DSL modem, connecting via airport express.

any thoughts?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all, you're using an outdated beta of Boot Camp which means the drivers for Windows are likewise outdated.

The only thing I can suggest is go through all your connection settings on the Windows side. Check the DNS settings, make sure you're connecting via DHCP, and so on. BTW, the Windows firewall will not block the internet connection so you can leave that on. Turning it off will very likely get you in trouble.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Outdated Beta

Will boot camp 2.1 work with OSX 10.4.11, or does it require leopard? Would it be possible to just download 2.1, make a driver disk, and reinstall the drivers?

I checked the DNS settings as best as I could figure out, so this could be a driver issue. I noticed that I had this problem what seemed like after I downloaded the most recent windows update, but before I had installed it on Feb 2. Maybe the update made the drivers I was using obsolete.

thanks for the reply,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot Camp 2.1 is a Windows executable file which must be run prior to installing SP3 for XP. I seem to remember that it did include some updated drivers but am not sure which ones. You can give it a try but remember that it needs to be run in Windows not OS X.

Regards.

Reaction score
To clarify - Boot Camp 2.1 is a Windows executable file, and does not run on OSX. You use it only if you have installed XP SP2 and want to install the SP3 upgrade. That's it. That's all it is good for - it does something to Windows. If you have an XP SP3 full install disk you don't need Boot Camp 2.1 in order to install XP SP3 in Boot Camp.

On OSX 10.4, your Boot Camp beta expired. Either reset your master clock back before the expiration or you will need to get Leopard.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.