• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Economy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Well I have been looking for work for the last month, no luck what so ever. And today my dad was laid off, matter in fact the whole night shift at his company was laid off as well. So any advice would be greatly welcomed, btw we have already lowered internet, phone, tv, cell phone plans he filled for unemployment.
thanks either way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Sorry to hear that.. I've been searching for work since September.. Things are tough, even fast-food joints aren't even hiring.

OP
gagnerants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah it sucks, and I'm a student at the end of this semester I might be faced with dropping out because I can't afford to pay it any more. (I have been paying it myself not to put my parents into debt.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
This is the true nasty outcome of this depression. People having to lose out on education.

You should be proud you've paid for your school (thus far) by yourself. I took out student loans and didn't even finish because it wasn't what I wanted to do. Things are completely different when you are passionate about something then taking it on in real life gives you a different perspective.

I'm sure you'll do fine, just focus on the school most and you'll pull through and end up getting a real job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
there's a big difference guys between a recession (which we're in) and a depression (which I hope we don't hit).

If you can stay in school, do so.. take out loans if you have to, educations a nice cushion away from these things... Other than that, good luck and persistence pays off. I've seen far too many people I know (into the hundreds by now) get laid off in the last 5 months :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I just started the job hunting process and prospects aren't looking good. Most local government agencies have hiring freezes, so it's next to impossible to find a paying position. My peers who have really good resumes and tons of experience are also having a tough time. Looks like I might have to take an internship position somewhere and tighten the belt as much as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
The recession's really bad this time round. My mom has had a 10% pay cut and my dad's business isn't doing very well all along. Part time jobs for me are hard to find and most of them aren't exactly paying very well. If the US starts to implement protectionism or anti-trade measures, my country and a whole lot of other countries are gonna be real screwed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

Anyway, back on topic, maybe you can try purchasing house brands(dunno if you have 'em over there) in supermarkets and such, so that you could save quite a bit on your groceries bills.

OP
gagnerants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah we have a costco membership and yeah its time to kick it down to store brands. But thanks guys, I hope I don't have to have to look towards student loans while I'm still at a community college.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If the US starts to implement protectionism or anti-trade measures, my country and a whole lot of other countries are gonna be real screwed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

You and me both.. the devices I work on are heavily exported.. we stop buying others stuff, they'll stop buying ours. Which will simply make the whole world economy worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Check radioshack, that's where i work and we just hired two new people in the last month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'd say that instead of lowering those monthly expenses, you may just have to cut them out completely. It really sucks, but if you really have to cut costs, you really have to cut costs. There's always the library for internet when you need it and local TV stations.

I agree about syaing in school. You've already made a significant investment and shouldn't throw that away. It would probably be best to stay in school and live off loans. Hopefully by the time you're done the economy will be recovering or you'll have obtained a skill set that'll help you get a job. Statistically, college admissions actually go up during economic downturns for that very reason.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.