LaCie Porsche hard drive

Reaction score
I have one of those famously-Porsche-designed firewire hard drives made by LaCie which has worked fine for almost a year. Powered by the computer, when I plug it in now ( and I have tried four different macs & powerbooks) the light on the drive comes on but no icon appears on the desktop.

System profiler also cannot find it attached.

How do I get it working again? LaCie don't seem keen in answering my question.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
does it have another connection type? maybe try connecting through usb 2 or something.

OP
T
Reaction score
Macman said:
does it have another connection type? maybe try connecting through usb 2 or something.

No, just firewire - have tried both ports!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
do you hear it trying to access the drive when its connected?

D

dziner

Something similar happened to a friend of mine when he brought his external drive to my house. Plugged it in, hooked it up, but it didn't mount. We later learned that he picked up the wrong power supply. It looked the same. But apparantly it had a different power spec.

If you haven't moved stuff around and used the wrong plug for the external drive - I don't know what it could be.

OP
T
Reaction score
dziner said:
Something similar happened to a friend of mine when he brought his external drive to my house. Plugged it in, hooked it up, but it didn't mount. We later learned that he picked up the wrong power supply. It looked the same. But apparantly it had a different power spec.

If you haven't moved stuff around and used the wrong plug for the external drive - I don't know what it could be.

Cable is the same - power is from the computer.

The drive hums and seems normal but no icon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.