Getting more memory? VMWare

Reaction score
So, I got VMware Fusion, got Windows XP, now I attempt to play a game only compatible on a PC, but the game runs VERY slowly.

A friends tells me i need more memory because the VMware Fusion eats up alot of it because I am running both my Mac and Windows at the same time.

I try to send more memory from what I have to the Windows XP and less to the MAC OS X, but it only helps a little.

I am thinking of getting more memory

Should I do this?

And if so, How much more memory should I get? And when I get it, How do I go about installing it into my Macbook pro.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
How much memory do you have?

Playing games in VMware or Parallels is not really a good idea. Virtual machines are good at running 2D apps but nothing 3D or too intense. You are better off installing Windows with Boot Camp and dual booting. That way you run Windows natively instead of in a VM.

Reaction score
more ram

my vm is running slow on my macbook, ( not playing games though) i only have 1gb installed, so after recommendations on this forum i have ordered 4gb...

i will let you know if it speeds up !!

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks kel, i will keep an eye out for your posts.

with the bootcamp thing, I did attempt that, but for some reason bootcamp does not completely work on my macbook pro... apparently there is a problem with it or something.

I tried installing Windows on bootcamp a couple times, new liscense, everything i had is correct, but the dam bootcamp messes up right after the installation and i am unable to continue =/

Reaction score
I have 2 GB on my macbook (2007 version), running XP in Fusion with 512 of memory, and I have noticed no speed decrease. But I do not play games - and you should not expect a virtual machine to play demanding games at anything near native speed.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.