Using HD from Powerbook on Desktop

Reaction score
Hello,

The logic board on my powerbook (aluminum, g4 15"), and I can no longer charge the battery... I'd love to buy a brand new G5 desktop, but well, funds are tight with student loans. I have access to a 15" G4. Can I just buy an external hard drive case, pop open my laptop and pull the hard drive for it, and use it as an "extra" drive on the desktop (I'd love to get all of my files that I didn't have a chance to backup off...).

Tips? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Short answer - "you sure can!" You don't even need an enclosure, as long as you're happy with USB2. ATA-SATA>USB2 adaptors (about US$18) will let you use a 2.5 or 3.5 hard drive 'bare' from desktop to any USB2 computer. You can also use the adaptor for bare optical drives. It's a cheap - but most effective - way to go. Maybe a firewire enclosure later, when funds allow.

OP
T
Reaction score
Great! No issues with both the internal and external having OS on them? Good to know I can just go extra cheap - its only me around my apartment anyway...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
No, you shouldn't have a problem with two OS - just don't try to boot from the external or mess about with the Option key on the G4 at startup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.