Anyone have the new Alum. Macbook with Cinema display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
Since the new Aluminum Macbook has no firewire port and the cinema display(Last Gen) has one, can i use the cinema display for my hard drive? Is it even compatible with my new Aluminum Macbook?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, White 80GB iPod 5th Generation
You can use the Cinema Display with your Alu MacBook but you'd need to purchase the Mini-DisplayPort - DVI adaptor to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
The FW ports and USB ports on Apple displays act as USB/FW hubs. In order to work, they have to be plugged into the respective port on your computer. Your computer would still need a FW port for the FW ports on the monitor to work. However, the display itself will work just fine on a macbook with the "mini-display to DVI" adapter.

Reaction score
cinema display and unibody

I disagree with the previous posts based on my experience. Yes, the connectors exist, but using two adaptors produces serious problems that Apple at the moment is unable to cure. They are trying though. These problems crashed my hard drive ultimately. So, to answer your question from my perspective, the answer is no for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.