Reinstalling OS9 on a Clamshell

Reaction score
First of all you have to know that I know nothing about old Macs.

Basically, I have this dirt-old iBook clamshell sitting in my house collecting dust. It's heavy and lime-colored (I know that that matters) and disgusting and I hate its guts. It used to have a purpose - playing educational games from the 90's for my sister, but last time she tried to play them (today) it wouldn't work.

Some of the system files are clearly missing. There's weird stuff going down all the time, discs won't read, Launcher won't load... it's bizarre.

To cut to the chase, I want to reinstall OS9 on it so that I my brother and I can play Age of Empires II (one of the best games ever) against each other using a regular old LAN cable. Can I just torrent the ISO, burn it to a disk, and bootload it somehow? And if so, how would I do that?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have the original install OS 9.2 CD, pop that in and boot holding down 'C'. Go to utilities and run Repair Disk if she boots up. You will need the disc as downloaded piracy OS will not work, usually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
if you search for mac os install dvds on torrents all you will get is, the osx86 project install disks for non native mac hardware. The best bet would be ebay most likely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.