dropped Lacie 2TB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 15"
For this problem im using windows because my mac is at home.

I have a Lacie 2TB external hard drive, which has 2 hitachi 1TB 7.2K hard drives in "I think" raid 0. Well a friend of mine accidently bumped it off my desk and when I plugged it in one of the disks was beeping and clicking. After some googling it seems that disk is pretty much *&^%ed. I took the outer case off and tried unplugging the hard drive that was clicking to see if I could still use the other 1TB drive but windows doesnt recognize it. When I check the disk manager the other disk just comes up as 8GB with alittle negative sign in white with a red circle around it. Im thinking this is because it was using raid 0 but I dunno.
Can I just buy another hitachi 1tb drive, plug it in and set up raid 0 again? Having an external 2Tb was nice.

I would appreciate any help guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
RAID 0 does not cater for data redundancy, it became popular because you can combine a number of disk and data will be spread across all disks in the RAID 0 set. It provided some performance increase, but not data redundancy.

My guess is that it will take a data recovery tool to get your data back.

Cheers
McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You'd know by the amount of disk space whether it was Raid 0 or Raid 1: If it showed up as a 2TB drive, it was Raid 0. If it showed up as a 1TB drive, it was Raid 1, in which case you should be able to recover the data.

OP
Chris57701
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 15"
re

I didnt loose anything that I couldnt get back from other places, I had the important stuff backed up on a second HD so Im not gonna worry about data recovery at this point. But is there anyway I can still use the external, because the 2nd 1Tb is still good and there seems to be no damage to any of the other parts, I would like to be able to just buy a 2nd 1Tb HD and plug it in instead of buying another lacie external which would be alot more expensive. I realize I could just use the 1TB but Id like to have 2Tb again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well if you get another Hdd that's the exact same size, it should work..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.