• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My Phone dilemma

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I've got a plan for another year (Bell says 2 years but I'm going there to prove them wrong) with a Samsung U740 Double Flip, blue. My contract is $30 a month and my parents are covering it in whole.

I feel the need to surf the web freely on certain occasions. I find myself going for fairly long drives (45-1hr) and without being able to read in the car, which makes me sick, I figure I'd get an internet enabled phone.

Now heres my dilemma:

I really want an iPhone 3G. A friend of mine might be selling his to be for $385, which, if you ask me, is quite low. I really love this phone, and I'd sell my 16GB iPod touch I got for Xmas and then use this instead. I've got an offer from my bros friend for $200 for the touch, so that works out.

Then I kind of want a Blackberry. I can get a Pearl for roughly $300 then get a 500MB data plan (3 cents per add. MB) and I'll be paying $15 a month with my parents covering $30.

Then I can also switch to Rogers, which I really want to do to get a SIM card, and not be locked in to a CDMA phone. This time, I'd get the amazing new Curve which is by far my favourite phone. I'd need to change my Bell contract to $10 a month, then cancel (it'd be around $100 bucks), then get the Curve for $200. It seems perfect, but i dont know.

Then I can just go screw it and not get a new phone, because after all, I dont need it.

Just rambling here lol.

By the way, if Bell says I got my phone in 2008, March 21st, but I have a text from February 14th, 2008, will they notice that they screwed up my account? I've also got my user manual with 2007 written on it. I know for a fact (I'm looking for recipts now) that I got this in 2007, but they say 2008. If I proove them wrong, do you think I'll get a credit???

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I feel the need to surf the web freely on certain occasions. I find myself going for fairly long drives (45-1hr) and without being able to read in the car, which makes me sick, I figure I'd get an internet enabled phone.

OK, just playing devil's advocate here - but wouldn't reading a book be roughly analogous to reading webpages, in terms of causing nausea? And if your use of the Internet is limited to viewing videos or listening to music, I would think an iPod would better suit.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am one of those that absolutely cannot read in a moving vehicle. By the third sentence, I'm getting dizzy. I cannot watch the side of the road go by either, or watch a train (unless I pick one spot up the road and look at that spot or pick one train car and watch that single car until it goes by). I definitely do not get on any type of ride that goes in a circle.

If this is you, you're not going to be able to browse the net or play a game on that new phone while sitting in the back seat of a car either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.