wireless ploblem

Reaction score
hi guys ive got a new imac 2.8ghz with airport. on my network preferences it is saying that i am connected to the network with full signal. however when i got to open firefox web browser it says that the web page cannot be found.

please can someone help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you're using a wireless router. As a test, go into to the router setup menu and turn off all security. In other words, turn off WEP, WPA, WPA2, and so on. Also make sure the router is broadcasting the SSID. Next, open System Preferences, Network, on the iMac and select Airport. Check the Network name making sure it's the same as being broadcast by the router.
Also clear off any passwords that you may have in the airport settings.

Once you're able to get on the net, you can reset any security in the router (WPA or above preferred) and do the same in airport settings.

If all that doesn't help, try attaching your router to the iMac via an ethernet cable. That should get you on the net if nothing else is wrong with either the router, modem, or your iMac. Let us know.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
basically to make it more clearer im in a student building and we all share the internet via wireless. everyone else's internet is working fine which mkes me think that the problem my be with my computer and not the network. however my ip address does change every so often and when i went to connect to the internet today, it said that my ip address was in use by 00:23:12:54:6c:65 which i think is another user

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Make sure your machine is setup to use DHCP. Open System Preferences, Network. Select Airport (highlight it). It should say "connected" and the location should reflect "automatic". Now click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the dialog.

Make sure your Airport settings are correct: Password, Network name and security. Make sure "Remember any Network this computer has joined" is checked off. Now click on TCP/IP.

The configure IPv4 box should say "Using DHCP". That will allow an IP address to be generated automatically. I suspect that your IP address may be set to static. Let us know if that helps.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
hi mate, thanks for getting back to me but i have followed everything that you have said in the previous reply and i still have the same problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.