College wireless refuses to let me connect

P

Phrozen

I go to school at Cal State University Fullerton and was very very dismayed to find that my laptops connection was refused when I attempted to connect. Now I'm supposed to be able to connect using my Student ID and PIN number but I am unable. I have a sneeking suspicion that it has something to do with the fact that I don't have any anti-virus software. It does tell me that my computer is being scanned for vulnerabilities so I assuming that is the problem. If any of you have any other suggestions I'd certainly appreciate it, its frustrating getting booted off the network every 30 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
why would having virus software make any difference, youre on a mac? if this is the case, get intego virus barrier or something free/cheap so it sees it and lets you access the connection problem free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think the problem lies elsewhere.
At my college, I tried to log on with my ID + password and it wasn't working either. Turns out you need to add a / before your ID for it to work - pity they don't mention that anywhere though!

Ask your helpdesk/IT assistance....it'll work...

OP
J

jbsengineer

I work in the IT department at Syracuse University. We require the computer as well to be scanned for AV software. If they are not secure we simply deny the MAC address access. I would check through your university if there is a registration process for the MAC Address and try to get some free AV software. We just started supporting mac's many people couldn't connect cause we didn't have the software available to verify the MAC was secure.

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup, like I said a couple of posts up, just install some sort of AV software so it can check it and be happy. just dont use any norton products.

OP
P

Phrozen

Hmmm... well I'll try the free AV software mentioned earlier. If it doesn't work I guess I'll just have to go talk to our, apparently, inept IT department.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
most IT depts. at colleges are inept.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
inept when it comes to macs, I mean. :mac:

OP
U

UnderOath

University of Utah (my school) is full apple, very little of our computers in labs or otherwise are PC. THANK GOD! Anyway, I had the same problem that you had, but it turns out that the IT dept had to physically install some sort of program that would allow me access. I would check if your University does the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.