Audio Recording/Production Setup Additions

Reaction score
I'm an audio production student and also a musician and I'm wanting to add some equipment to my current setup. My budget is around $600, preferably less. I was wanting a pair of monitors and a firewire audio interface. What do you guys recommend for what I want and add in some other recommendations for other things too if you want. Thanks for the help.

My Current Setup:
2.4 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro
Logic Studio 8
Propellerhead Reason 4
M-Audio Keystation 48e
Korg nanoKEY

Reaction score
What do you want to do with it exactly? Audio interfaces come with a variety of input/output options generally. I guess you'll want something to output to your monitors, but you can go from a single 1/4" input right up to 8 xlr ins with mic pres which would let you record with 8 mics at once.

Just as a beginning point though I might suggest Line 6 UX1 or UX2, dependant on your needs... both give you ins for a guitar/bass and an xlr in, as well as monitoring out. You get Line 6 Pod Farm software bundled which should work as a plugin with Logic Studio.

KRK monitors are decent, worth a look... I use Tannoy Reveal 66Ds currently which are good money for a good sound (to my ears), but pretty large/heavy. Not really desktop! I've got mine on seperate stands...

If you supply more info about what exactly what you're looking to do with the set up then you'll get more specific/useful responses.

Hope this is of some use!

Reaction score
I would suggest looking at Yorkville monitors - you wont see their stuff at GC or Sam Ash, but in live sound they have the best quality/price ratio I have found. If you want what you do to sound good in the real world, getting the right monitors and placing them correctly is one of the most important things you can do.

In terms of audio interface, pay attention to the quality of the pre-amps if you need XLR in. For example, I have found that Presonus pres are a bit flat sounding compared to M-Audio's stuff.

Best of luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.