PDA

View Full Version : Two macbook pros, one wireless flies, the other crawls

drjimmy42
01-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I just got a new Macbook Pro 15", the new unibody aluminum one. My wife has an older intel macbook pro 15".
Once in a while when I'm on wireless I start to get exceptionally bad network bandwidth on the new macbook. Hulu is choppy, downloads crawl, its terrible.

I tried an online network speed test (Speakeasy - Speed Test (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)) and my download speeds are ~800 kbps down and about 4000 kbps upload. Usually down is supposed to be far faster than up. Whereas my wife's macbook pro, sitting right next to me on the couch is getting around 16000 kbps!!! down and around 4000 up. This is on comcast cable.

I've looked at the network utility to verify that I'm connected to my router with 802.11g, and in fact, only enabled 802.11g just to be sure.

I've rebooted, restarted my airport and nothing seems to change it.

its not always like this but it has happened a few times and is going on right now. Its making me crazy.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? Thanks.

drjimmy42
01-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Some wickehd smaht friend of mine suggesting switching the wireless channel. Poof, now it works. I still don't see how one laptop works flawlessly while another one 8 inches away sucks wind, but hey, back to hulu.

mrfizzed
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
so what did you do to fix it?

drjimmy42
01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Seriously, just switching the wireless channel on the router fixed it. I have no idea why two laptops right next to each other would behave so differently but changing the channel from the default (6) to 2 instantly fixed the bandwidth problem on my macbook pro. Could be differences in the wireless chipset dealing with interference differently. I'm not sure. But it works now.