PDA

View Full Version : New Premium Memberships

schweb
01-08-2009, 09:07 AM
We're excited to announce a new way for you to show your support of Mac-Forums and enhance your experience in our community, Premium Membership.

We developed Premium Memberships after receiving suggestions and feedback that such an option was desired. As a Premium Member you gain several benefits:

An ad-free forum skin option
Access to a private Premium Members forum
Increased PM mailbox size
A special Premium Members badge to show your statusIn addition, we're already planning several new features that will be available for Premium Members in the future to continue to bring enhanced value to the program.

Premium Membership is available beginning today! For more information, visit the Premium Member information page:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/premium.php

JGruber
01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
What if you don't use Paypal?

schweb
01-08-2009, 04:10 PM
What if you don't use Paypal?

Currently that's the service we use. We may look at alternatives in the future.

JGruber
01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
But it does look like it will allow people to Pay with a Credit Card without having a Paypal Account.

This is good news for the people that don't have or use Paypal.

schweb
01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
But it does look like it will allow people to Pay with a Credit Card without having a Paypal Account.

This is good news for the people that don't have or use Paypal.

Yes, I believe that's correct. Thanks for checking that!

JGruber
01-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Yes, I believe that's correct. Thanks for checking that!

Not a problem at all! I'll jump on this when I get home from work later today!

Zoolook
01-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Can I ask exactly what the funds would be used for? I am assuming that the advertising and sponsorship covers the cost of the hosting, and the admin/mods give their time voluntarily.

Also, isn't there a danger of this becoming a little clique. It's one thing to make people MOTM for their behavior and contributions, and another thing entirely to create a sub-group based on willingness or ability to pay.

I am not shooting the idea down, and I am sure you have considered how this might impact the community feel here, but what are your thoughts on these points? I am interested in supporting the forum as it happens, I just don't want there to be a two tier feel to the forum, as the community spirit is what makes this place special.

BlueMac
01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Can I ask exactly what the funds would be used for? I am assuming that the advertising and sponsorship covers the cost of the hosting, and the admin/mods give their time voluntarily.

Also, isn't there a danger of this becoming a little clique. It's one thing to make people MOTM for their behavior and contributions, and another thing entirely to create a sub-group based on willingness or ability to pay.

I am not shooting the idea down, and I am sure you have considered how this might impact the community feel here, but what are your thoughts on these points? I am interested in supporting the forum as it happens, I just don't want there to be a two tier feel to the forum, as the community spirit is what makes this place special.

I agree- it might seem as if the paying members might be 'favored'.

JGruber
01-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Hate to say it, but that is how it is on sites that give the option to pay for a 'Premium Membership' On the site I Admin (socalrcrc.org/forum) we have a paying club membership, those that are paid members get perks on the site, special deals by some well know company's in our industry.

Also some people just feel the need to help out, $25 a year isn't much, comes out to about $2.08 a month.

schweb
01-08-2009, 06:13 PM

I would imagine they'd be used for running the site and improvements to the site. And let's face it, in all honesty, there are some cool features we'd like to bring to the site that ad revenue alone won't cover. Premium members will get access to additional features, no different than Flickr, Evernote, or many other communities.

Core features will always be available to all, but Premium Members may have access to enhanced functionality.

That was the same worry that people had when we created the MoTM program, but we've worked hard not to allow that to happen and I think it's been successful. We'll do the same here.

I am interested in supporting the forum as it happens, I just don't want there to be a two tier feel to the forum, as the community spirit is what makes this place special.

I appreciate the concern and feedback, but trust me when I say, in general there won't be two tiers of membership, at least in the eyes of the staff. Premium Members will have access to an enhanced experience, but anyone has the option of becoming a Premium Member. You will not lose anything from your current experience or any future "core" experience improvements by remaining a regular, valued member.

In the end our intention is not to alienate our regular member base, but we also wanted to allow those who wished to support Mac-Forums through Premium Membership to have value in doing so. As we grow this program, I would hope you continue to give feedback, publicly or privately through PM, if you feel we're not delivering on what we promise to do.

schweb
01-08-2009, 06:14 PM

How so?

By receiving enhanced experiences for their support? Sure thing, but there's nothing wrong with that, it's how many sites and communities work. You can pay to receive more features and a better experience. Core things will always remain available to the community as a whole.

If you mean they'll be treated differently in relation to the forum rules, behavior, etc, absolutely not. And if you don't believe that, ask any MoTM. ;)

dabears34
01-08-2009, 08:13 PM
How so?

By receiving enhanced experiences for their support? Sure thing, but there's nothing wrong with that, it's how many sites and communities work. You can pay to receive more features and a better experience. Core things will always remain available to the community as a whole.

If you mean they'll be treated differently in relation to the forum rules, behavior, etc, absolutely not. And if you don't believe that, ask any MoTM. ;)

I believe what he is saying is that maybe things like MOTM will be skewed by the fact that some people are Premium members while others are not. and if thats not correct im sorry. I think if there is a forum that can pull this off its MF.

BlueMac
01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
How so?

Well, I get this thought from another forum I belong to- people seem to trust the paying members more, and act though they are police men, people who mean more than other forum members.

But lets see how this goes, first. :D

baggss
01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
That was the same worry that people had when we created the MoTM program, but we've worked hard not to allow that to happen and I think it's been successful. We'll do the same here.

Allow me to play the devils advocate here:

I can see that, but the MOTM program is not voluntary, others nominate you and you really have no say (I suppose you could decline). This involves money and is therefore completely different. When people plonk down their cash they expect perks for it, especially when charging for something that is, basically, otherwise free.

As an example, if I pay my $25 and then get suspended because I talked about file sharing or how to rip commercial DVDs, do I get a refund? I ask this because I have been gigged, and almost suspended, for things that I think were questionable enforcement of the rules in the past. If I start paying you money for the maintenance, upgrades or whatever of the site, I expect something solid in return, not just extra message space and a pretty badge. Where is the incentive? A private forum?

schweb
01-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Allow me to play the devils advocate here:

As an example, if I pay my $25 and then get suspended because I talked about file sharing or how to rip commercial DVDs, do I get a refund?

No, you don't. The forum rules are clear, and every member, even premium ones, will be held accountable to them. Suspended is a temporary situation, it takes alot to get permanently banned and I would hope someone who's paying to be a premium member wouldn't be the kind of person to continuously push the envelope like that.

I expect something solid in return, not just extra message space and a pretty badge. Where is the incentive? A private forum?

Each person will make the judgement on its value based on their expectations and desires. It doesn't seem like it's for you, that's cool. MobileMe isn't for everyone either. For others, who have already signed up, Premium Memberships do provide value to them.

I'd also like to point out that Premium Memberships are a direct result of the community asking for them. When inline ads were introduced, a good number of members asked us to provide this very thing.

BlueMac
01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Actually the ad's don't annoy me... I'm pretty used to them.

I would happily be a premium member if I had a PayPal account... but you know, schweb, I do have a Swiss bank account, I can hook you up with some $$$. ;D

dtravis7
01-09-2009, 11:55 PM
My take on the Premium Memberships.

Do remember, you do not have to pay. Nothing will change if you do not pay. You can still use Mac Forums the way you do at present. If you do contribute you will have a few new features, but the main reason I would pay the $25 is to help out the forums. The ads really do not bug me all that much either. To me it would be helping the place that helps so many Mac users all over the world keep the lights on and make even more improvements to the forums down the road.

rogerinlondon
01-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Enhanced functionality and no ads, fine if you want that, but how is it going to work with "a private forum"? Where will a preium member put new posts, in the private forum since he/she is a premium member or in the community forum since more people will read it? I do not quite get that.

Kash
01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Well, both. It's actually a subsection of the forum, similar to "Anything Goes" or "Switcher Hangout" except it'll be for premium members.

schweb
01-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Enhanced functionality and no ads, fine if you want that, but how is it going to work with "a private forum"? Where will a preium member put new posts, in the private forum since he/she is a premium member or in the community forum since more people will read it? I do not quite get that.

Probably mostly in the community forums. The private forum is only one, single form...a lounge more than anything, not an entirely new set of forums.

harryb2448
01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
"...but the main reason I would pay the $25 is to help out the forums."

Agree exactly. it does cost money to purchase, set up and maintain servers and web sites. There was a hue and cry over the ads when they first appeared, so Premium Membership is a way to assist in maintaining these Forums.

Use them, every day, which equates to about 50¢ per week, or 7¢ per day ~ excellent value for money. Another forum site recently needed new equipment and had to ask members for donations to stay online. This is a far better option imho.

eric
01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
has anyone else tried the ad-free "skin"

i'm loading m-f pages much, much faster now.

McBie
01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't have a PayPal account, Can I simply pay by Amex or Visa ?

Cheers
McBie

JGruber
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't have a PayPal account, Can I simply pay by Amex or Visa ?

Cheers
McBie

Yes you can.

dabears34
01-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I will subscribe once have the means(I have a car payment staring me in the face).... I think a cool idea would be if you wanted to add certain features and you knew how much they would cost set up a donation goal and let the members help contribute. I think it would benefit the forums monetarily and help build a stronger community.

the8thark
01-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Actually I do agree with this. But I do not the idea of a "Premium Member Badge". Because it creates an elitist group. And everyone then will know who has contributed and who has not. People should be paying their hard earned money to help the exist in the future. Not for a few perks. But if perks are required that's ok.

In short.

1. Could create 2 user groups. Payers and non payers. Well not officially but people could think like this.

2. Personally I'd want to help out the site. But I like donating or helping out anonymously. And I think some others would too. And I will not be helping out till this point is addressed in some way.

3. A payers only forum? Helps to create the point 1 scenario in my opinion.

Personally I think the perks associated with paying should be aimed at enhancing the user experience. Ie. No ads. Options to different forum skins. Larger storage capacity for the PM inbox here. And more. I can't think of any more though.

Well that's how I feel about this whole premium memberships here. And thanks for taking the effort to set something up here.

schweb
01-12-2009, 01:27 PM
2. Personally I'd want to help out the site. But I like donating or helping out anonymously. And I think some others would too. And I will not be helping out till this point is addressed in some way.

If you'd like to become a premium member and have your badge reflect the existing member badge instead so you're more anonymous, that's something we can probably accomodate on an individual basis.

eric
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
perhaps the badge could be just a bit more understated - to keep in line with the thought process 8thark implies...

maybe just the same design with a different color, or same color/text that simply says "premium" instead of "member".

cwa107
01-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Hmmm.... I think it's pretty understated as it is now. If it said "Premium" or something like that, it would stand out more IMO.

the8thark
01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I agree with eric.
But I think it should be member and premium member. Different colour text doesn't bother me. Cause when I first saw the M-F and the heart thing. I was like what is that?? But with Eric's idea, people would be thinking, hmm a premium member. How do I become one of those?

(and on a unrelated note, for all those on this site interested in man points. The red heart to me is very unmanly).

schweb
01-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Cause when I first saw the M-F and the heart thing. I was like what is that?? But with Eric's idea, people would be thinking, hmm a premium member. How do I become one of those?

I would say the current design did cause you to wonder what it was and find out more, so I think it worked. ;D

(and on a unrelated note, for all those on this site interested in man points. The red heart to me is very unmanly).

Good thing we don't run the forum based on man points. :P

eric
01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
yeah, the heart is like a star on a sneech's belly.

Zoolook
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
yeah, the heart is like a star on a sneech's belly.

Is that good or bad?

eric
01-12-2009, 02:59 PM
did you ever read the dr seuss book, or see the cartoon?

it's a good lesson in jealousy and perceived status.

schweb
05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
We're giving away 5 free premium memberships once we hit 200 twitter followers...

Mac-Forums (MacForum) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/macforum)

babylon5
06-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Hello. I recently upgraded my membership and wanted to know how to be able to use the new features.

Thanks.

Babylon5

cwa107
06-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Hello. I recently upgraded my membership and wanted to know how to be able to use the new features.

Thanks.

Babylon5

You should already have access to the Premium Members forum (look at the forum list from the main page). Additionally, the increased PM inbox size should be automatic.

To switch over to the ad free mode, click on the Profile button toward the top-right of the M-F page. Then, go into Edit Options (left side of the screen). Scroll all the way to the bottom and you can change to ad free using the option shown below (you can also select to use the iPhone skin here):
http://home.comcast.net/~cwa107/forumimages/2009-06-17_0830.png

Thanks for becoming a premium member, and do let us know if you have any further questions.

Nighthawk4
12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
It doesn't seem to want me. When I try to upgrade it says:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

I assume this is not US only?

If not, any ideas please? I am using Firefox 3.5.6 on Leopard 10.5.8.

BMWguy206
12-29-2009, 12:32 PM
It doesn't seem to want me. When I try to upgrade it says:

I assume this is not US only?

If not, any ideas please? I am using Firefox 3.5.6 on Leopard 10.5.8.

I'm having the same issues as well.

Nighthawk4
12-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks - I suppose we need to wait for the Admins to sort out the problem :)

bobtomay
12-29-2009, 12:35 PM
I think this is going to be a bug in the style sheet with the new version of vB the forum is running.

Try Safari and report back if it works or not and I'll get it turned over to the right people.

Nighthawk4
12-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I think this is going to be a bug in the style sheet with the new version of vB the forum is running.

Try Safari and report back if it works or not and I'll get it turned over to the right people.

No - same thing in Safari 4.0.4

Nighthawk4
01-01-2010, 10:34 AM
No - same thing in Safari 4.0.4

Tried this again in Firefox. It seems to have worked now. Not sure what I do next, but I think I signed up successfully.

Whatever you did, thanks Bobtomay :)

Edit - it seems to have updated my title details automatically - cool

cwa107
01-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Bobtomay gave iNet a head's up, I think they repaired this just the other day.

Now, it's time to turn on that Ad-Free skin!

Nighthawk4
01-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes, this works now with Firefox.

All signed up with the ad-free skin. O:)

rogerinlondon
01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
What ads? I thought everyone was using adblockers these days....

MsTran2010
02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the information! I've been meaning to start this process myself so this is a big help. ;D

donnaabreu
05-04-2010, 05:10 PM
im amazed by this idea. but i do hope that you will consider other modes of payment.

keep it up!

Dr.Phil
08-11-2010, 09:59 AM
No, you don't. The forum rules are clear, and every member, even premium ones, will be held accountable to them. Suspended is a temporary situation, it takes alot to get permanently banned and I would hope someone who's paying to be a premium member wouldn't be the kind of person to continuously push the envelope like that.That's easy for you to say this on paper (PC/Mac screen) but to truly follow it is another thing.

It is impossible to not hold some sort of favoritism towards some members on a PMB. I'm sure the other mods and you get into pissing matches, but do you give them "time outs?" I highly doubt it. It's part of working together and learning from each other, the same way as you can learn from the community. ;)

schweb
08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
That's easy for you to say this on paper (PC/Mac screen) but to truly follow it is another thing.

Actually we do hold them to the same standards.

It is impossible to not hold some sort of favoritism towards some members. I'm sure the other mods and you get into pissing matches, but do you give them "time outs?" I highly doubt it.

No, because we act like adults when we have disagreements and have open, productive discussions. People are chosen to be moderators for a reason, it's also why we keep our moderator ranks small and that helps ensure the highest level of quality in all the staff here.

People with a history of receiving infractions are not chosen to be moderators. ;)

It's part of working together and learning from each other, the same way as you can learn from the community. ;)

I'm unsure of what this statement has to do with the rest of your statements.

I do find it curious that almost all your posts since joining here are just to take digs or complain about the way things are done here.

baggss
08-12-2010, 06:41 PM
That's easy for you to say this on paper (PC/Mac screen) but to truly follow it is another thing.

It is impossible to not hold some sort of favoritism towards some members on a PMB. I'm sure the other mods and you get into pissing matches, but do you give them "time outs?" I highly doubt it. It's part of working together and learning from each other, the same way as you can learn from the community. ;)

Actually they do hold them to the same standards. Problem is that people who pay their money often, for some inexplicable reason, expect some sort of special treatment. Silly folks thinking paying money should get them something.....

Dr.Phil
08-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I do find it curious that almost all your posts since joining here are just to take digs or complain about the way things are done here.I was having a rough week/time. I'm over that, and will be contributing to more discussions.

I apologize for being such a Thorn.

daveb
09-05-2010, 01:26 PM
As a Mac convert of only 2.5 weeks (and counting) I can honestly say the you good folks here on mac-forums.com have made my transition from Windows a breeze. Although I've not posted much I've read lots and very useful indeed it has been .... thanks for that :)

I've learned more on mac-forums that all other sources of info put together so had no hesitation in going 'premium' .... more to support the community than anything else.

I've replaced my Laptop with a MacBook Pro, availed myself of an Apple offer to combine an iPod Touch alongside it (mostly to be used as a PDA) and, next year (when I get the hard earned spondoolas in place), I aim to replace my PC with an iMac desktop.

Just thought I'd say both "hello" & "thanks".

Stay happy, Dave B.

cwa107
09-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey, daveb - glad we could be of help and thanks for supporting M-F!

Mad_Man
09-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Although I have been a Mac user since 2001, I recently acquired a new 17" MacBook Pro (utilized for work and pleasure) and am currently adjusting to Snow Leopard (coming from Tiger on a 15" PowerBook). I really don't join many open public forums but since my experiences over the years have been hit or miss on the (official?) Apple forum web pages, I thought I would search out a Mac forum that appealed to me.

So with that said, I am happy to contribute to such a forum that will hopefully enhance my experiences here, now and in the future. Thank you.

bobtomay
09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the forum, one and all !!!

chscag
09-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Greetings and welcome. Enjoy your membership and visit often.

McBie
10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Gents,

Any chance of paying the membership fee with Visa or Amex ( WITHOUT using Paypal )
Asked the same question a year ago , maybe anything has changed in the mean time.

Cheers ... McBie

the8thark
10-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm seriously contemplating becoming a paid member here. But only if:

I don't get that little "I'm a premium member badge".
I don't get access to the special premium members forum.

In short I want to donate to the site because I can, and because I want to and for that warm fuzzy feeling inside telling me I did a good deed. I don't need a few carrots (or incentives) dangled infront of my face to tempt me one way or another. I know websites such as this have operating costs. But the poor who can't donate money should not feel like they are missing out on something special just cause they are poor.

McBie
05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Gents,

I have been wanting to pay the M-F membership and contribute, but ..... is it already possible to pay via Amex or Visa ?

Don't have PayPal, nor do I want it based on the Belgian conditions.

Cheers ... McBie

schweb
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Gents,

I have been wanting to pay the M-F membership and contribute, but ..... is it already possible to pay via Amex or Visa ?

Don't have PayPal, nor do I want it based on the Belgian conditions.

Cheers ... McBie

Unfortunately, we can only accept PayPal right now. I'll pass along the feedback to the devs though for future consideration.

McBie
05-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks ....
I will also keep an eye on the Belgian PayPal situation.

Cheers ... McBie