recover data from hard drive.

Reaction score
Ok lemme layout the problem.

First off I am posting this on behalf of a friend who isn't to computer savvy. He doesn't live close and doesn't have much in the way of money to spend on the situation. so keep that in mind with your answers. Thanks

The problem: My friend has an external hard drive formatted in hfs+ (hope thats written write) for use on his old mac. He no longer has his mac and due to poor planning didn't transfer his data and reformat the drive before getting rid of it. So now he is stuck with this drive and a bunch of old backed up data he would dearly like to access. While only owning a couple of pc's. The specs on the drive are,

Lacie
80g
7200rpm
hfs+ format
fire-wire connection
(Hope all that helps probably most of its not relevant but ya never know.)

My question: One of his pc's does have a fire-wire port so that's not an issue as far as we can tell. What we want to know is if there is anyway to retrieve his data without using a mac or some computer shop service. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can download a trial version of MacDrive 7 here. That will allow you to read and write to the HFS+ formatted drive from your Windows PC. In other words, it will mount the HFS+ drive on your PC desktop.

Regards.

Reaction score
Hello,

sorry for n00b questions. Im not too sure what to do.

i had time machine back ups of my MBP. Had some problems with stuff on the laptop so re-installed OSX. Plugged the external HD back in and cannot see all of back ups. Just recent ones that its done after reinstall. I'm guessing its not good. I had 3 years worth or data on it. Anything i can do to get it back?

Thanks

Reaction score
get photos back from hard drive

You can try to recover them using photo recovery software. Just scan the entire hard drive (or card or other media) and see the photos you can get back.
Hard Drive Photos Recovery seems to be popular and can have lost/found/deleted Problems.
You can easily restore data including digital pictures, images, text documents, songs files, picture albums, audio video films.

Reaction score
get photos back from hard drive

You can try to recover them using photo recovery software. Just scan the entire hard drive (or card or other media) and see the photos you can get back.
Hard Drive Photos Recovery Flash recovery software for compact flash secure digital memorystick seems to be popular and can have lost/found/deleted Problems.
You can easily restore data including digital pictures, images, text documents, songs files, picture albums, audio video films.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.