XP 'Upgrade' on MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Some time ago I purchased XP Home Upgrade for an older PC. Now I would like to use that same disk to put XP on my new MacBook Pro, will that work? Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Some time ago I purchased XP Home Upgrade for an older PC. Now I would like to use that same disk to put XP on my new MacBook Pro, will that work? Thanks

No. Boot Camp has very specific requirements and one of them is a full version.

Reaction score
No, it won't work. You need to purchase XP SP2. Boot Camp will not install from an XP SP3 disk. You need to install XP SP2, then install Boot Camp 2.1 in Windows (it is a Windows executable), then upgrade XP SP2 to SP3 via Windows update. This has been covered in other threads - at present, Boot Camp requires an XP SP2 disk.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it won't work. You need to purchase XP SP2. Boot Camp will not install from an XP SP3 disk. You need to install XP SP2, then install Boot Camp 2.1 in Windows (it is a Windows executable), then upgrade XP SP2 to SP3 via Windows update. This has been covered in other threads - at present, Boot Camp requires an XP SP2 disk.

Cheers

I did not know that. I installed SP3 before the 2.1 update and didn't have any trouble - of course, it wasn't integrated into the disc either.

I wonder if it's possible to slipstream SP2 after SP3 has already been integrated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like SP2, the 'B' designation likely refers to subsequent security updates. So that should be fine.

Reaction score
Please understand that the slipstreamed disc referred to in that post is different than what you were going to buy. That will work - it's what cwa107 used in his installation. What you were going to buy is a regular retail XP3 disc. That WON'T work. Don't ask me why - it makes no sense to me either.

And, to get there (a slipstreamed disk with XP3), you need to start with an XP SP2 disk anyway. Which you should already have ordered from Amazon.

Stick to your plan to get the XP SP2 disk, ok? That WILL work.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.