Is Ram OK

Z

zer0uk

Hi I have Just switched from a PC to a Mac and loving every minute, Quick question i have got an iMac G5 which I have moved some spare Ram from my old PC (The PC Ram was 1Gig DDR 400 unbranded) i have put this in my iMac and it seems to work fine am I risking breaking the Mac or is it a case of if it works it works?

Reaction score
zer0uk said:
Hi I have Just switched from a PC to a Mac and loving every minute, Quick question i have got an iMac G5 which I have moved some spare Ram from my old PC (The PC Ram was 1Gig DDR 400 unbranded) i have put this in my iMac and it seems to work fine am I risking breaking the Mac or is it a case of if it works it works?

Macs get a bit picky about ram, but if it works it works... As long as it is decent quality Pc3200 400 ram it should probably work. If it doesn't like it, it will just not see it or refuse to boot. If you start getting weird things happening, just yank out the new ram and see if it stops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Running the Apple Hardware Test CD never hurt, either.

OP
Z

zer0uk

Thanks for the advice so far i have had no problems, machine has never crashed (Unlike old PC) everything works fine.
Which makes me happy cos saved me ££££

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.