Question about remapping eject key on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I have a 17" MB Pro running Windows XP through BootCamp. I'm using SharpKeys to remap the CTRL, Option, Command and Delete keys to their respective Windows keys. The only one that's giving me a headache is the Delete key.

I've remapped it to be the Backspace key, but that doesn't quite cut it. I'm really missing the forward delete as well as the ability to directly delete files and folders within Windows Explorer. Unfortunately, Windows Explorer interprets the Backspace key as the navigational "Back" and not "delete this object."

My question is, can I remap the Eject button to function as the forward delete? Or is it hardwired like the FN key?

If this remapping isn't possible, can anyone recommend a good laptop stand that would raise the machine high enough off a desk to allow for an external keyboard to be used comfortably?

Thanks!

P.S. Some of you might get a kick out of this - since the FN key on the MB Pro is where the left CTRL key is on a PC laptop, I physically bound them together with a piece of rigid, transparent plastic and double sided tape to aid in my 15-yr. addiction to the CTRL key being all the way on the left.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, the "Eject" key is hardwired and as far as I'm aware can not be remapped.

As for a notebook computer stand, I use the "Griffin Elevator" which can be purchased at any Apple store or from Griffin direct. Great price at $39.99.

I have my aluminum Mac keyboard and Samsung 22" monitor on my desk with the machine setting on the Griffin.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Well, that's the answer I expected. Thanks for the recommendation on the Griffin - it looks like exactly what I need!

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the "Eject" key is hardwired and as far as I'm aware can not be remapped.

This is untrue, in MacOSX Eject can be remapped using KeyRemap4Macbook (KeyRemap4MacBook)
If you also want the eject key to handle repeats (like a real delete key) install Controllermate (ControllerMate :: Introduction) on top of it. Of course none of this will work under Windows I suppose :( but only on MacOSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.