Why are my images shrinking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
So I received a Canon Rebel XS for xmas. I have taken a lot of picture and uploaded them to iPhoto without issue. BUT when I upload the pictures it free hosting sites like imageshack, or tinypic the image shrinks to a smaller size. Maybe they are shrinking the image because its too large?

Here is an example.

Can anyone explain why this is happening, or have a solution? It's starting to annoy me.

Thanks in advance

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Can't help with the why but if you use photobucket, you can choose a size that you want the picture to be.
I've got some up there at 1024x768.

Reaction score
Imageshack has an option that resizes your photos. Next time you upload see if the the box is checked for resizing.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i use smugmug. there is a yearly cost, but it saves the original size and makes various other sizes for your convenience. the UI is also very very nice.

btw, if anyone wants to try it, i can save you 5 bucks on the fee. just pm me for a referral.

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imageshack has an option that resizes your photos. Next time you upload see if the the box is checked for resizing.

I've done that with all pictures and all options but they are always the same size.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't know what setting you are shooting in. IE RAW or whatever, but typically those are huge files. Most of those free image hosting websites put a limit on how big an image file can be. Imageshack has a limit of 1.3MB or something like that, and you need to pay money to upload images that are 3MB.

Tinker with the DPI to make the files smaller is really the only way to avoid your images being resized.

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will try adjusting the DPI I just need to figure out how. LOL. Much to learn with a new camera.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well typically you do those kind of things are done with software, because you want to have the highest quality possible when shooting. When you upload or show to others you want to do so in away that is reasonable for viewing on the web. You need to optimize the image by using Photoshop, lightroom etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.