LCD - iMac 24

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi all and a happy new year to everyone.

I have been looking at buying an LCD tv for the bedroom but have found most tv's poor in picture quality.
When I watch films on the iMac, the depth of colour seems much richer and the blacks, blacker!
My question is....who makes the LCD screen in the iMac 24 ?....and does this manufacturer make tvs?

Cheers

Philip

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am quite sure it is the same in the stores there as it is here.
Almost all TV's will have a better picture in your home than what you see in the store. Most stores are running a single source and then splitting it to 10, 15 or 20 TV's and quite often still connecting them with analog cables instead of digital. None of them have been adjusted properly. Almost all manufacturers have them set up by default at one of it's brightest settings for display under incandescent light which precludes good black areas.

On top of that, your 24" screen has a higher resolution (1920 x 1200) than any TV is capable of displaying (at this time). You can't expect any TV at 40" or greater to match the appearance of a monitor of 24" or less.

There is no TV that can match the display of a high resolution computer monitor.

If you are one that has a very critical eye, you may be unsatisfied with anything other than a high end Plasma set.
If you have not yet upgraded to a 720p or 1080p TV in your house, then any TV you get will surpass the picture quality of what you have now when watching HD sources. Some TV's will also upgrade the appearance of SD sources. Even the lowest end lineup of 1080p sets when viewing a good Blu-Ray disk will have an exceptional picture when sitting at the proper distance from the screen.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, over here we have the same issue, dozens of tvs run from a couple of lousy RF feeds, the odd Blu ray badly set up and a host of assistants who have little idea of what they are selling
Having worked for Sony in the past, I have seen seen Hi-Def at its possible best, but my issue is not really with this. I am looking at a bedroom set that will only have either digital or terrestrial tv or DVD at the most. I am not really bothered about HD on such a small screen. Its just that when I view a DVD on the iMac, the depth of picture seems so much better than on most of the LCD tvs, which I put down to the quality of the panel used rather than the input signal. I read on another site that they were Samsung but I am unsure of this.

Reaction score
24" Intel iMacs use a S-IPS Samsung panel as i recall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.