Audio Interface

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
250 HDD, 2 GHz Intel, C2D, 1GB RAM
I am looking for a good, affordable 2-channel audio interface to use to record my songs in Garageband. I have been looking at the Alesis IO2 but cannot seem to find any information on whether or not it's PC only. Does this matter? Will it work with Garageband?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
It should work with macs. The only thing is that the bundled software may be PC only, but I highly doubt it since most pro music apps work on both platforms.

Reaction score
I'd suggest Presonus firebox with the firewire 400 ports.
It has double channel that are also phantom powered.

I've been using it on my imac and sofar no major problems.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I'd suggest Presonus firebox with the firewire 400 ports.
It has double channel that are also phantom powered.

I've been using it on my imac and sofar no major problems.

cheers

I was just about to suggest this! :eek:

Reaction score
First, it sounds like you want more than an interface - the correct term (I think) would be analog to digital converter (A/D converter) that also has firewire/USB2 out. For example, M-Audio makes a box that takes an already digital signal (from a preamp) and sends it along firewire.

I have had very good experience with the Firebox. A plus it that, in the field, it can be bus powered. Also, built in phantom power is important as well. Finally, built like a tank (metal enclosure and knobs)

It also looks like MOTU just came out with a very full featured A/D converter as well.

Reaction score
A quick question about the firebox.. When i initially set it up, the external mics i setup barely picked up any noise so I cranked the input levels all the way up 4/5ish up the input level.

Is that normal? I used a sm58

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.