PC to Imac Networking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 1ghz 256mb ram
I have both a PC running windows XP pro and a IMAC running OSX.

I would like to somehow connect these together to share my ADSL tiscali internet connection (using external modem) and to share files etc and my printer.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about doing this? I have no idea! Do I need a ethernet cable- a router? I dont know!

Links to useful online guides on how to do it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, you can either hook them up using an ethernet cable, but that would mean the one or the other would always have to be switched on.

To avoid that problem you'd need a router as you already guessed.
I'd get one with built-in wireless LAN if you have airport express or a laptop anywhere...

Any old router should work, but I've heard good things about linksys or belkin products here.

No need to get apple's, they're normally quite a bit more expensive.

Reaction score
I currently have my new iMac and a Windows XP Pro PC connect to the internet through broadband router. Both computers can see the others HDD and both connect to the internet. It works quite well for me. Surprisely easy to set up too. Currently I use a Linksys modem and router

Hope that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
imac and pee cee

I also have my iMac and a Windows XP Pee Cee connected to the internet through broadband router.

Broadband router is an ethernet cable connection to a external modem and a Belkin router.

I have the G5 Imac as the main computer (naturally) ethernet hard cable to
router and external modem. XP computer with dongle also Belkin to router.

I was wary setting it up but if you have the imac as the main computer it is
pure child's play all you do is plug it all in. The Mac picks everything up all i had to do then was run the cd software to install the USB dongle on the XP pee cee.

Belkin is highly recommended and in case you have problems tech support
is 24/7

kind regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.