Need help compiling Xboard

Reaction score
Hey guys. I hope this is the right area to post this. If not, mods please move to right area.

Ok, I bought an ibook last Friday night. Let me say that i'm new to mac and to anything to do with unix. I am a quick learner though. Now, I downloaded a program called Xboard. Its a chess client for unix based systems. According to all the documentation, this is supposed to run on Mac OS X with the X11 environment installed. I installed the X11 package from the factory CDs. I opened a terminal and cd'd to the directory of the Xboard download. (It was on my desktop) Once inside that directory, I did ./configure. Its started doing something and then tells me that there are no gcc compilers in the path. I dont understand what this means. I've included a screen shot of the terminal. Is there anyone here that can help me get this installed??

terminal shot.jpg

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You are missing the C compiler. The configure routine is checking to see if you have everything it needs to compile. You will need to get gnu c (gcc) or a c compiler to complete the process.

In case you don't know OS X come with a chess program.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok. I reinstalled the X packages and all and was able to get it to configure. (Thanks rman -- i know os x has a chess program but you cant connect to internet chess servers with it.. and fixation is just horrid)

i did ./configure and it went through that process. I then did 'make' and it went through that process. One set of instructions says that all I'm supposed to do but I cant figure out how to 'run' the program. Another set of instructions tells me that i'm supposed to go one step further and do 'make install' which i tried and it doesnt work. How do I run the program now?? What else am I supposed to do??

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look in the directory/folder where you did the ./configure and make. You should find a file most likely called xboard, since that is what you downloaded. To run the program do ./xboard. The readme file should also tell you how to run the program.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok. I found another issue. *I appreciate your help rman.* I've installed the X11 package like 5 times. However, there is no x11.app under Utilities. What am I doing wrong?? It says that it has installed it everytime. When I do a Command - Find, I dont find the x11.app file either. Only the installation package.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look in the Utilities folder which is located in the Application folder.

OP
M
Reaction score
rman, i said in my post that it wasnt in the utilities folder :D.

I called apple and they helped me figure it out. Thanks a lot for your help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some times when you are doing more than one thing at a time, you make little mistakes. So as it goes my bad. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
no prob at all. I did all this work yesterday getting it to work and found Xboard well.... sucks/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.