AirPort connectivity problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I am running an iMac 5.1 with OSX 10.4.11 and use a wireless Netgear DG834G router and up until the last week or so I have had no problems. The problem that I now have is that I am able to connect to the router and work OK (signal level around 80%) but regularly the internet connect just locks up even though the connection to the router is still up (signal level still at 80%). I started off by rebooting the router but got feb up with this as 5 minutes later it would lock up again.

On further checking I found that by turning AirPort off and on on my Mac the connection came back, does this indicate a problem the my Mac rather that the router and if so any ideas what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

Steve

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Start here and let us know if you still have any questions.

My first thought would be that one of your neighbors just bought a new wireless router and it's now starting to compete on the same frequency.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
cwa knows a lot more about network stuff than I do and would recommend following his recommendations first.

After that, I just found something a couple of days ago that I had never seen before.

Go into your user preferences folder (User Home/Library/Preferences) and delete any files that contain "com.apple.internet...". The few reports back are showing this working maybe 50% of the time. (Naturally, just move them to another location first before you delete them so you can move them back if you have to.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.