Boot Camp + Windows = arghhh

Reaction score
Ok

so i got the new operating system for Christmas and the main reason was so i could have boot camp to run windows so i could play a game or to as my family didn't like me using the computer when ive got one myself

so i install leopard and am happy that everything has been saved but then i come to install windows and windows take over everything so i have to wipe my mac and start again not alot of stuff lost as id backed it up

i try again i [partition a section of the drive and then ti says insert windows disk all it does is loop from wanting to format the partition and installing windows XP

has anyone else encountered this problem i dont want to do it again until i know for sure what im doing because ive just got my mac back to the way it was

Any help would be awesome

Raven

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Tell us a bit about the Windows disc you're using. Is it a retail version? Where did it come from?

OP
R
Reaction score
Its windows XP it came with our PC when we bought it a while back i used it before when i had the parallels software on my mac i also have the retail version of windows 98

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Its windows XP it came with our PC when we bought it a while back i used it before when i had the parallels software on my mac i also have the retail version of windows 98

Unfortunately, you can't use either.

Boot Camp requires a retail version of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 integrated, or Windows Vista. You can use an "OEM for System Builders" version, but vendor-supplied retail discs are often tailored for the systems they're sold with.

Also, it is illegal to run that version of Windows on another PC, and there are technical measures instituted to prevent you from running it on another machine.

Windows 98 simply won't work with Boot Camp, drivers are not available for the Mac's hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.