Repl. CD burner w/ DVD on ext. FW

Reaction score
i'm trying to figure out if anyone has given this a go and had success or not. i have an older LaCie FireWire 400 external CD burner but need a DVD burner to archive my hard drive. from what i can tell, the LaCie drive is just an enclosure with, i assume, an IDE CD drive inside. seeing as how cheap internal DVD drives are these days, i was thinking of swapping that CD drive with a DVD instead of buying a whole new setup. only thing i'm worried about is drivers and such. anyone do this and have luck? if so, i'd appreciate any details. thanks!

edit: heck, if anyone has replaced the internal combo drive on a G4 Mirror Drive Door running 10.3.9, i'd like to know what drive and if there were any problems. that'll work too and save me some space. thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've recently replaced optical drives inside 1) a Devideon and then 2) a LaCie enclosure. The drives inserted are Pioneer, a 112D and a 115D. No problems - other than keeping track of which screws go where! No need for drivers, especially with Pioneer, which works well with MacOS. I'd recommend that brand for your G4 as well. There are some good videos on YouTube about swapping internal drives in Mac tower machines.

Hints: 1) if you're nervous (as I was) about what goes where, have your digital camera handy, and take photos as you go; and 2) if you find the LaCie cooling fan too noisy, you can disconnect it as long as you're not planning to use the drive in a confined space in a warm room, or for long periods of time, ie several hours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.