Another External HD Itunes problem..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
I've seen a million people ask this question but never read the solution...
Just bought a new external HD and backed up all my music. I went to itunes preferences and changed folder locations to the external. The songs are in itunes window..but wont play..
Please help, sorry for the repetition.

Reaction score
I've seen a million people ask this question but never read the solution...
Just bought a new external HD and backed up all my music. I went to itunes preferences and changed folder locations to the external. The songs are in itunes window..but wont play..
Please help, sorry for the repetition.

When you say it doesn't play, what does it do? Details would help.

Reaction score
I recently acquired a new (to me) G4. I copied all of my music to an external HD. What I did was manually copy all of the files in the iTunes Music folder and created a new folder on the external and pasted them there. It was tedious and I had to repair some file names along the way, but ultimately I got all of my music on to that HD. I then plugged the HD into the new computer and turned it on. Before importing the music, I made sure that the preferences were set correctly. I checked the box that said "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder" (or something like that). It took quite a while, but the whole process happened automatically, and everything plays fine. There were a few file name issues, but I expected that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.