iMac G4 dual boot questions/problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I got an old iMac G4 for xmas (always wanted one not for its functionality but for the funky look.) I installed OS X 10.4.11 and Ubuntu 8.1.0 as a dual boot system. There are few issues with the installation. First in OS X, diskutil works badly. When I try to do a repairPermissions on the OS X partition, in just hangs, if I do it in terminal, it caused a kernel panic. Secondly, Disk First Aid does not function at all, in DiskUtil, the repair disk button is dimed, when I click on verify disk, it says First Aid failed. (I know the disk is good because I tested it on my other Mac before replacing it.) I just want to know if this is normal because DickUtil doesn't recognize the Linux Ext file system.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Disk first Aid is an old classic OS9 app, so I wouldn't use it on an OS X system

Try and boot up from the install disk, when you get to the install screen, you can select Disk Utility from the top menu and run it from the optical disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Not wishing to be contrary, but First Aid is part of Tiger Disk Utility. However, booting from Disk 1 of either the Restore disks that (hopefully) came with the machine, or from a retail version of Tiger, and then using DU from either, would be preferable to trying to run it from the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And be aware under Leopard and Tiger Repair Permissions is a long slow process so give it about twenty minutes or so. Go have a cup of coffee and let Disk Utility just run.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks you all for the replies.

hughvane is correct that DiskUtil on the Tiger disk is the proper version. I never had a Mac that acts so much like a Windows junkbox, After all Apple updates, Safari stops working, FireFox 3 crashes, DiskUtil stops working entirely... :(

May be I will just make it into a Linux box. Ubuntu 8.1.0 runs great on this iMac tho. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
DiskUtil on the Tiger disk is the proper version.

Okay, next step. Try OnyX, a free maintenance utility. Don't ask me why and how, but there are more OS problems fixed with that than any other utility I know. Post back if you need assistance with OnyX.

Maybe I will just make it into a Linux box. Ubuntu 8.1.0 runs great on this iMac tho.

Don't give up on the Apple OS just yet, sometimes it can be a headache to get running right, but when it's all sorted out it makes using a computer a pleasure, not a chore.

Good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi hughvane,

I just don't understand why my G4 mini, except for the faster 1.33 Processor, is almost identical to the iMac G4, never had a single issue for years. (I use it as a server so it's left on 24/7/265 - n.)

I am also wondering have anyone run the G4 iMac with Leopard? How well does it work? I might consider buying a license. I have beefed up the iMac G4 with 1.5 G ram and 250G HD from stash of hardware. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your G4 iMac might have had a rough/tough existence before you got it. I note you've already replaced the hard drive. Was it/is it in good condition? Maybe it's the root cause of the hardware and other problems. That extra RAM will make for more consistent, smoother operation.

G4 & Leopard? I'm on record as recommending no. Leopard is memory and processor hungry. Your G4 will handle it, but slowly, and I think you would be disappointed and frustrated.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I am an idiot, all along was the 1G DDR100 memory caused the problem, I replaced it with the 512M that was in the iMac, now no more crashes :) The 1G memory stick came from an old Windows junkbox, it worked on XP and it also works fine on the Ubuntu iMac but not Tiger. Live and learn.

Thanks all for the replies tho. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.