OS X, XP, and Linux

Reaction score
Hi. I have an empty 250gb external HDD. I have Leopard on my mac with bootcamp (windows XP). I want to try out some form or linux. Is there any way to install it onto a partition of my external HDD?

Thanks
eskimoboi!:*

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Several ways to do it depending on your skill and knowledge.

1. Install a version of Linux using virtual software (Parallels, Fusion).

2. Use Disk Utility to create a partition for Linux and install an EFI boot manager (rEFIt) to select which OS to boot from.

Probably the easiest and most popular version of Linux to install and work with is Ubuntu. Latest version being 8.10.

Go here for instructions.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your post chscag. The virtual option looks pretty simple, but I was hoping to be able to tripleboot. I think I might have to put this on hold for a 'project' for when I have more time! Looks pretty complicated. I found a guide here but it seems to me that I would have to make a fresh start on my computer, i.e. reformat the whole drive. I'm also unsure if I can boot onto an external hard drive... to make matters worse I have no experience whatsoever with any sort of linux!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.