New Lacie Hard drive question...

Reaction score
I just got a new 1 tb Lacie Neil Poulton external hard drive for Christmas. It is the USB 2.0 model. What is the difference between USB and Firewire? Is it just the speed? How much of a difference? Would it be worth it to return the USB model for the Firewire model and pay the difference?

Thanks,
Wayne

Reaction score
Firewire is ultimately faster. It will say the transfer rates are the same but a USB external hard drive will be affected by other USB peripherals and is dependent on the speed of your processor. Firewire is not dependent on those factors. If you deal with digital photography or especially video, then Firewire is better for you. If you are only using it to back up then the USB is ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
To be bluntly honest, I've not noticed a big difference between USB2 and Firewire 400. I would add that FW 400 is more consistent in its transfer rate than USB2.

FW 800 is a completely different story however. If you can facilitate FW 800, go for it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.