Spinning Beachball of Death Problem

Reaction score
I have the Mac G5 version 10.4.11.

Lately, I have been having problems with the computer freezing whenever I click onto anything, such as a drop-down menu, a folder or an application.
In all these cases, I experience the Spinning Beachball of Death where the computer hangs and nothing happens.

Although repairing disk permissions on the Mac HD solves the problem immediately, its positive effects only last for 1-2 days and then the freezing problem returns.

I am not downloading online files during these intervals and I am not sure why the freezing problem returns.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you verify the disk? If not, do that and correct any errors that may be found. Also keep in mind that your hard drive may be getting ready to fail so be sure you immediately backup everything you can.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, after repairing the disk, I always verify it as well.
This trend of computer freeze-up and repair disk - verify disk
routine has been going on for about two weeks now.

I am not currently downloading from the Internet (except for Firefox updates) and I don't have Limewire.

I have now performed an archive and install, so I expect this action to resolve any freezing problems for the time being.

Thanks for the interest and support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.