What's the best CD ripper for .aif files?

Reaction score
I've been using iTunes 8.0.2 (latest version) to rip (import) my CDs to a WD 1T external USB drive, using the highest import settings possible (.aif files), yet I've noticed that there are often pops, crackling, and other distortions. It's frustrating, because I have always kept my CDs pristine, so it's not because of the CDs that this is happening. I'm not sure why it's happening.

These are the Import Settings that I'm using:

AIFF Encoder
Custom
48.000 kHz, 16 bit, Stereo.
error correction is checked

I have the latest and greatest Mac mini with 2Ghz processor, 2G ram, and super drive. Like I said, my CDs are in mint condition.

Is there something I can set in iTunes (or somewhere else) to remedy this?

And, does anyone know of a different program that will do a better job of importing to .aif files, which I'm assuming are the highest quality files there are. I am getting ready to rip over 800 CDs to this 1T drive, and I just want to have the highest quality sound possible.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can give me.

Great forum, BTW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You may be better off with Apple Lossless compression, AIF is totally uncompressed and as far as disk space goes, grossly inefficient.

Give lossless ago and see if you can notice the difference when listening through some quality speakers

and also turn on error correction

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.