• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Problems with the windows machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
might need to sign up for a different forum but lets see what happens here:

im havin a problem with my windows machine (the dell i am going to be selling)

i get a few errors upon startup:
"Diskette drive 1 seek failure"

a few moments later:
"Primary hard disk drive 1 not found"

a few moments later:
"Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

if i hit f1 the computer just boots up...f2 brings me to all the bios settings or whatever they are called "system setup" i think

once booted up it recognizes my a:/ drive as a 5 1/4" floppy drive

and it does not recognize that i have 2 cdroms

does not boot from cdrom or floppy or anything

specs:
Dell dimension 8100
P4 1.5 ghz
256 ram
WinME

thanks
chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
has just recently happened?

try unplugging your floppy drive as that seams to be causing the problems and the see what messages you get

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
this shouldnt be that much of a surprise to anybody....

but i have not touched this pc for 3 years....they day i got my powerbook ;)

i did not get this error before then

unplugging it i get a :
"diskette drive 0 seek failure
diskete drive 1 seek failure
diskette drive 0 seek failure
diskette drive 1 seek failure"

primary hard disk drive 1 not found
strike f1 to continue f2 to setup"

f1 boots windows fine

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
before you posted and my last post it let me reinstall windows on a hd i had laying around and everything was working fine in regards to my cdroms showing up

but i still get:
"Diskette drive 1 seek failure"

a few moments later:
"Primary hard disk drive 1 not found"

a few moments later:
"Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
although I have cannot offer assistance in this issue, since all of windows knowledge "dripped" out of my brain since I got a mac, and now I expect things to happene logically, I would like to point out..that this...is why we have macs ;)

yes..this post was a waste of storage on mac-forums...but I have time to kill until American Idol is on :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
You need to run the setup utility (the bios) and change the floppy dirve to the standard 3.5 inch (as it is set to 5 inch it is telling you it cannot find it, and it won't since you have a standard one installed)

Then you need to find (in the BIOS settings) the hard drive and do a recognition search to set the parameters for the drive again.

Then you need to save and restart machine. If you get the same error messages, go back into BIOS and find the key for "set BIOS defaults" which is usually F5. (F7 is usually advanced BIOS features).

Then save and restart again, if the same issue occurs, it is very likely your BIOS battery needs replacing, cost all of a couple of quid and very easy to do. :) This can easily be determined if the date is also incorrect in the BIOS (another sign of a failing battery).

If your BIOS battery is not failing, then it could be the IDE channels on the motherboard since it is not recognising the floppy or the hard disk correctly.

P

phatsew

Yeah, if removing the floppy doesn't help and the BIOS settings that you choose to be standard doesn't help, it may be possible to flash the BIOS - depending on the age and capability of the ROM. It can be a sketchy process though.

Assuming you don't care about the info on the HDD, perhaps try formatting the master boot record, "fdisk /mbr" from the command line. I've only had to use this trying to get rid of boot issues after Linux dual boots, usually after I remove disk druid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Assuming you don't care about the info on the HDD, perhaps try formatting the master boot record, "fdisk /mbr" from the command line. I've only had to use this trying to get rid of boot issues after Linux dual boots, usually after I remove disk druid.

Formatting the drive or fixing the MBR won't achieve anything at this stage, since it is a BIOS related issue. The BIOS needs to recognise all drives correctly first before a format can be achieved since Windows takes its information from the BIOS. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.