please help, trying to get xp for macbook

Reaction score
So, just got my mother in law a new macbook from macmall. She is intent on running some old windows based sewing software. The laptop came with a free copy of parallels.
Ive never run windows on my macs before so this is all new to me. Im thinking we need to buy and download windows xp to make this work. m I right? Do I need a special version on windows xp for mac?
TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac/10-5-5/2.8GHz Intel/2GB DDR2 SDram
Kash... or anyone else that can offer an opinion....

Can you shed some light on using the System Builder version of XP in conjunction with Fusions vs using an Upgrade version of XP in tandem with the OS disc from a laptop no longer in service?

Is it possible? Pros cons? Ease of install?

Thanks...

GSM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
if I understand Kash correctly he is referring to an OEM or Original Equipment Manufacture copy of windows. These are different from the full retial box product in that you get a cd/dvd and a license code and that's about it. However the OEM kits are for when building new computers from scratch and as such retailers shouldn't sell you the copy with out some appropriate hardware being bought as well.

The other note about OEM licenses are that buy Microsoft's licensing terms the license to use windows is granted to the first machine it is installed on for the life of that machine and is non transferable. How this would work with a VM I don't know.

As for the disk from the laptop that will have been an OEM copy so technically you cannot transfer the license to a new machine. Realistically however M$ are never going to check or care (and this from the licensing rep) over the home user they aren't going to care that much.

Reaction score
I use an OEM version of XP under Fusion and it works perfectly well. Installation was fine. The only difference between them is the licensing referred to above. The OEM versions cost under 100, I've seen them under 90 (try newegg.com). If you want the flexibility that the full retail license provides, feel free to spend the $$$. Your call. But there's no difference in the actual software or installation.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.