Router for PowerBook G4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Purchased a used PowerBook G4 for my Daughter.

I would like to get a router for her for Christmas.

We use Cable One for ISP.

Have been looking at amazon.com for routers.

We have a single story house. She would like to stream music.
The laptop also has an AirPort card inside. I have tested the laptop at work and it connects fine to the wireless network there.

Have a couple of routers in mind and hoping to get some input.

Belkin ME1004-R Wireless Cable/DSL Router 802.11g
Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router
The Linksys also has a model with SpeedBooster, is this better?

If I need to supply more info, let me know.

Thanks
Dan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any of those routers should be OK. I personally prefer D-Link because they're Mac friendly but in realty any good router should suffice. Make sure you buy from a store with a good return policy - just in case. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4 15" Aluminum
Best Router for Range?

I was using an ancient D-Link DI-713P and getting poor range to our Powerbook G4 Aluminum 15". At about 30' I have to "aim" the notebook in a particular direction to get decent signal. Recently purchased a Trendnet 802.11g in hope of improvement, but didn't gain much. I'm ready to cough up a few more bucks if I can get a router to reach a little further. Any recommendations other than a repeater or the like?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are a lot of people here with the Linksys WRT54G.

There are at least a few on this forum pretty happy with the D-Link DIR-655 also. Have one of these that sits about 60-70' from where I use my computer and it maintains 4 full bars. Doesn't do to shabby when sitting out in the yard at about 100-120' from it either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4 15" Aluminum
Thanks for the super prompt reply and advice. Sounds like you get what you pay for. Any coupons or promotion codes for that DIR-655? :[

Reaction score
I have the WRT54G and it works great in my two story ~1800sq ft house. I get four bars anywhere in my house, but if I take my laptop out to the pool deck the reception starts to dwindle...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4 15" Aluminum
Thanks for the Linksys Suggestion

WRT54G2 replaced the Trendnet this morning. From the exact spot that gave the Trendnet trouble, I got the following performance:
Download Speed: 5091 kbps (636.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 639 kbps (79.9 KB/sec transfer rate)​
Wonder if I should consider the WRT110? Only ten bucks more. I would have grabbed that instead, if I had seen it on the shelf.

Thanks Again!

Edit: Just ordered the WRT110 from Newegg for $51.99 and free shipping. I LOVE that place!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4 15" Aluminum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB G4 15" Aluminum
Good News, Bad News

Good News: It works
Bad News: Not much better than AirPort

TEW-424UB.jpg

I'm about twenty feet from my router, but a stone fireplace is in between. Guess the only thing left is to reposition the router, which is NOT a prime choice. Four PC's, an Xbox and switch are connected to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.